Sunday, August 17, 2014

A favourite blogger

My son Neil introduced me to Coach Nick.  He has become one of my favourites.  This morning I saw this post.  There is a lot of wisdom in that short video.

I imagine that my children studying education might benefit from reflecting on the Slow - Explain - Whole - Part - Whole - Full Speed sequence near the start.  What a great way to teach anything!

Near the end Coach Eastman pays credit to the 2013/14 San Antonio Spurs in a way that is wholly correct, but generous none the less coming from a professional rival.  It should not surprise anyone that Game 3, 4 and 5 of the 2014 NBA Finals were one of my sporting all time favourite events.

The only match analogies that come to mind immediately are a couple of rugby ones.  There was a Bledisloe Cup test match in Sydney in 2000 when the All Blacks beat a very fine Wallabies side.  Then for demolitions (which was after all what the Spurs did to the Heat), there was the World Cup semi final in South Africa in 1995.

But that featured an 'incomparable' in the rampant Jonah Lomu.  A few months ago it was the Heat that had the incomparable player in Lebron James, but the Spurs were the incomparable team.  I suspect that will make it my favourite event ever.  And give Lebron and his team mates their due - they acknowledged the quality of the Spurs play.

I'm looking forward to the 2014/15 season.  Coach Eastman talked about the extra pass - will the Clippers really do it?  Two other teams will be running some version of the triangle (Knicks and Warriors).  I actually look forward to seeing how Carmelo Anthony plays within that sort of system.  He was very good in London for the USA in a disciplined team structure.

No comments:

Post a Comment