Sunday, November 21, 2010

New bull, old bull

S
Today we went off to pick up a new bull.  The bull we've used the last few years now has too many daughters in the herd - so we need top make a change.

I contacted a breeder who had leased us a good bull a few years ago - and they had a 5 year old bull at a very reasonable price.  At 5 he should have several years left in him - and he also has a track record.  Today we were able to see several of his progeny.


So here I am with Pine Gully Park Alto.  He's a big, gentle guy - a bit like his owner I guess.  He is 124 cm high at the hip - which qualifies him as a miniature.  He's quite a bit heavier than me - I would guess he might be over 700 kg.

After I put him in the Bull Paddock while he met the first contingent of his girls, I had to shift them all back into paddock 20 where I'm break feeding.  Alto was lying down.  When he saw what was required he started himself rocking forward and back.  After 15 seconds of this he got his feet under him and quietly got up.  I feel a bit like that occasionally - I need to think about getting moving - and I need to work out how to get moving.  Neither Alto nor I are into springing into anything very much these days.

Those of you that have been to Moora might remember Leyla.  She is not black with a white belt - but is a colour called dun.  A few weeks ago she had her first calf - and it is also dun.

The breeder told me today that the dun gene is a dominant one - so Leyla should have a fair proportion of dun calves.  This one is a little bull - we might keep him and see what he can produce.

You can see Alto in the background - contemplating the work in front of him.  We will be putting him to about 25 cows this year.  But he has a few weeks to look after them.  As long as they're all in calf by the end of January - I'll be happy.
F

 

No comments:

Post a Comment